Friday, January 14, 2011

"How does it feel to know that she is now in control?"

So, Cory had to travel to the FedEx facility in Memphis, TN this week for work. Although it was only for three days, we still feel like we are newlyweds, and are sad to be apart. It was a fairly uneventful week, work-wise. I would come home, make dinner, and relax with the doggies and Hollywood. With the exception of my Tiyng Fely's passing last weekend, everything was pretty quiet... which is nice.

This past Wednesday, I woke up, got my normal "good morning" kick from Hollywood around 7:00am, continued to get ready for work, and move on with my day. It was a busy day, but nothing too crazy. I wasn't running around at work, but I was busy at my desk. That evening, my parents and Christopher came overto bring me some sinigang... I had requested some while Cory was gone because I was craving it. :) Had dinner with my family, my mom made some yummy fruit smoothies for dessert, we watched tv, talked a little bit about the baby and the dogs, and called it a night. A couple of hours later, I was sitting on the bed with the dogs, crocheting Hollywood's hot pink & black rock star blankie, and I realized that I hadn't felt her move... in fact, I hadn't felt her move all day. And when my mom was over making dinner, she had actually asked how she was moving, and it didn't dawn on me that it had been pretty calm in my belly. So, of course, in true Annaliza fashion, I started to panic. I text Cory, who was out on a business dinner in Memphis. He called back immediately, I told him what was going on. We decided that it would be best to call the doctor... Better safe than sorry, right? So, I called the on-call physician at Saddleback Memorial. Not a millisecond after I said the words, "I don't think I've felt the baby move since this morning..." did Dr. O'dell instruct me to come to the ER and up to Labor and Delivery. I called my mom to come pick me up, I called Cory to let him know, and I proceeded to ball my eyes out. I was like, "Are you serious? Am I having complications while my husband is out of town? I can't do this again..." I balled and balled and balled, then finally stopped, got myself together to get dressed, and told the baby that I loved her and would not let anything happen to her.

It's amazing how quickly they take you up to Labor and Delivery when you are having potential complications. Typically, my experience in the Emergency Room has included a 2-3 hour wait just to get triaged. As soon as I arrived, I told them my name, the on-call doctor had already told them to expect me, and a wheelchair was there in less than 5 minutes.

In Labor and Delivery, they had me in a room that had about 5 beds in it. I'm guessing this is where they process you before deciding to admit you or make you go home. I had to change into one of those backless gowns (sexxay), and they strapped on a fetal heart rate monitor and some other monitor for contractions, and then the list of questions began. When was the last time you felt her move? What did you do today? What did you eat today? Did you fall? etc etc etc... I started to cry. Before I could literally lose it, the nurse turned on the monitor and turned up the volume, and the sound of a galloping horse came through the speakers. It was the baby's heartbeat at a fluctuating 150-180 bpm, which I'm told is a good sign. And not 5-10 minutes later after I was laying in the hospital bed, Hollywood started to let me know that she was doing just fine... punching and kicking with intention. That's my girl. The nurse and physician continued to check her heart rate and movement and they said that she is an extremely active little one. They asked if her kicks were always THAT strong... I said YES. And the reassured me that it was a good sign to come in. If I wasn't feeling THAT all day long, then it could have been a sign of distress... so better safe than sorry. "She must have been taking a really long nap." They kept giggling at how much she was moving now. As if she knew that she was being "watched"...

They monitored me for a couple of hours before discharging baby and me, and telling us to take it easy. The nurse handed me some informative handouts and my discharge papers to sign, and said that she hoped to see me back at 39 weeks. I was like, "Why 39 weeks?" She said, "so you don't go over too much"... I thought that was cute. She reminded me to ALWAYS call if I had questions of concerns... better to keep baby safe. And, while I was getting ready to leave, she said the words that will ring in my ears forever...

"How does it feel to know that she is now in control?"

PUNK...

My mom laughed... she's been telling me since I was a little punk myself, that she can't wait until I have a little girl to cause my hair to turn white and my heart to race at all times of the night. Haha!

Anyhoo, we are all doing well. After pretty much having a heart attack in Memphis, Daddy is home, protecting mommy and belly... and dogs too.

Before I go, I do want to send love, hugs and prayers to all of my family during this difficult time. Tiyong Fely was a loving and influential individual in all of our lives, and he will be missed.

No comments: